Sunday 3 April 2022

Croissant Breakfast Casserole

 I had some croissants leftover that we got from Costco that were getting a bit dry so I thought I would see if I could use them in a breakfast casserole of some kind. I came across this recipe and thought it looks very yummy.....and it was! My initial reaction was that it was a bit sweet but my family loved it. You could probably cut down on the sugar if you wanted. You can get the original recipe from the Chunky Chef the link is HERE


INGREDIENTS
  • 5 large croissants cubed
  • 1 1/2-2 cups mixed fresh or frozen berries of choice ( I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries &blackberries)
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/4 cup milk (whole or 2%)
  • 1/2  cups granulated sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Zest of 1 lemon
Vanilla Glaze: 
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat over to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside. 
2. Cut up croissants and to a large bowl along with the berries. 
3. Add cream cheese to a mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat with beaters until smooth. Add milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest and beat until combined. 
4. Pour mixture over croissants and berries and toss until covered and coated completely. (The original recipe has you put in the fridge overnight but I did not do that and it came out great)
5. Bake covered with foil for 40-45 mins then uncovered for about 15 mins or until set and knife comes out clean and slightly brown on top. (it will be a tiny bit wet still just because of the moistness of it but you don't want it soggy.)
6. Combined Glaze ingredients and pour over the casserole once it is finished baking. 






No comments:

Post a Comment